Showing 5 resultsarchival descriptions
Part of Wilhelmsen fonds
Personal photos belonging to Franz Wilhelmsen, comprising:
Photos from Philip Wilhelmsen’s family album:
- Franz with Annette and various other people, [1980s-1990s]
- Franz and Stefan Ples. Caption on verso: “Dad/Stephan[sic] Ples”
- Franz and another man standing next to a helicopter
- Black and white photograph. Caption on verso: “Dad & Crown Princess Martha, 1942”
- Franz skiing with Pierre Trudeau and Jim McConkey [1970s]. Caption on verso: “McConkey/Trudeau/Dad”
- Four people in skis sitting on a bench, March 1977
- Nitinat. Caption: “Dad’s First Coastal Water Enterprise” [1950s]. The Nitinat was a ship, part of Franz’s first business venture after the war.
- Four people in skis sitting on a bench. Caption: “ ‘One of the [Lawman] Annie Benches’ – The plank would be raised as the snow deapth [sic] increased. Invented by Annette Wilhelmsen, to the right in her canary suit.”
- Douglas McKay Brown, Franz Wilhelmsen, Eric Beardmore and Annette Wilhelmsen boarding a train. Caption: “Spring 1961, early morning boarding on P.G.E. Railway for exploring around Alta Lake: Douglas McKay Brown, Vancouver Solicitor, Franz, Eric Beardmore who built the first hotel at Whistler, the Cheakamus Inn, and Annette Wilhelmsen.”
- The old Stud Sawmill. Caption: “This is what was left of the old stud sawmill in the Valley by 1960.”
Holiday card photographs
- Early Whistler, 1961-1962
- Franz Wilhelmsen
- Boarding the train
- Standing by a helicopter
Part of Janet Love Morrison Fonds
Photographs given to Janet Love Morrison by Intrawest.
Photographs of Franz Wilhelmsen skiing with Prime Minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau, a Garibaldi Lifts Ltd. Summer Camp ski pass, Whistler Village in the midst of construction from Whistler Mountain, a ski school group photo with children posing with Willie Whistler, Garibaldi Olympic Development Association (GODA) notice of annual general meeting form 1966, Garibaldi Lifts Ltd. Subscription Agreement, a letter from Franz Wilhelmsen to Florence Strachan notifying the sending of the Garibaldi Lifts Ltd. Subscription Agreement, a flyer about Jim McConkey and Bob Dufour's Garibaldi Ski School, a group of children in ski school with their instructor, a baby on skis, a group photo of Yosemite Ski School from Winter 1948 (including, from left to right, Bob Berelsford, Ross Moore, Norm Palmer, Jim McConkey, Chuck Freshwater, Nic Fiore, Tony Freitas, Bill Cahow, and Luggi Foeger), Alta Lake train station on the PGE, Myrtle Philip in her elder years walking with Gary Watson, a sign on Whistler Mountain listing the town services in the 1970s [post-it reading "For Sure"], Roundhouse, Eric Beardmore and the Woodward family skiing Whistler Mountain, Jim McConkey skiing Whistler Mountain, the front cover of the September/October 1963 issue of Skier Magazine showing Willy Schaeffler and Franz Wilhelmsen inspecting the mountain, skiers posing, Whistler T-bar, skiers from Garibaldi Ski School posing for a portrait, children posing with their instructor, and a woman from Ski Patrol.
Part of Mary Newman Fonds
Vancouver 2010 Olympics Official Souvenir Program.
Table of Contents:
p. 26: Forever Young- Best-selling author Douglas Coupland takes on a vivid journey through his Vancouver - tracing its history, its neighbourhoods, its heart and its soul.
p. 38: Hockey: Canada's Game - For sport lovers visiting this land, writes Roch Carrier, the password is hockey. Carrier traces hockey's historic roots and its significance today.
p. 48: Tiger Tales - Canadian Olympic hero Nancy Greene Raine on national pride and winning the ultimate prize in sport.
p. 50: Spirit of the Games - Being a true Olympian of Paralympian isn't just about sport and winning medals - its about fundamentals, lasting values, true ideals writes Stephen Brunt.
p. 76: History Makers - From Torvill and Dean to the Miracle on Ice, acclaimed sports anchor Brian Williams shares his most cherished memories of past Olympic Games.
p. 86: Stars that Dazzle - The Paralympic Winter Games is littered with tales of remarkable athletes achieving remarkable results in their sports and private lives, writes Allan Maki.
p. 146: The Last Word - Allow yourself a moment to dream during these Games - there's so much more at stake than just winning or losing writes Canadian Olympian and NBA superstar Steve Nash.
p. 18: The Warm Up - A mixture of Games-time cultural highlights and classic Canadiana.
p. 33: Dream Believers - How a single gold medal ignited a big, bold ambition to bring the world to Whistler.
p. 61: Ice Masters - Creating the perfect ice surface is painstaking work.
p. 64: Bearing Witness - First Nations culture is finding fresh ways to express itself.
p. 73: Canada's Games - Hosting the Games is about kinship, community and being the best a nation can be
p. 94: Home Away From Home - Catriona Le May Doan and others share a behind-the-scenes glimpse of life in an Athletes' Village.
p. 98: Power, Purpose, Glory - The 2010 Winter Games venues are fostering the highest performance possible.
p. 105: Shaping a Future - How youth and social groups are benefiting from the greenest Games ever.
How the Games Changed My Life:
p. 63: Colette Bourgonje
p. 72: Philip Boit
p. 93: Doug Anakin
p. 97: Steven Bradbury
p. 104: Ragnhild Myklebust
p. 109: Michael "Eddie the Eagle" Edwards
p. 110: Olympic Games Schedule
p. 111: Letters
p. 112: Olympic Games Sports
p. 128: Paralympic Games Schedule
p. 130: Paralympic Games Sports
p. 136: Vancouver Map
p. 138: Whistler Map
Documents, photographs, films, and other graphic material relating to the career, accomplishments, interests, and family life of Franz Wilhelmsen, including:
- Awards and honours he received
- Organizations and Corporations he ran or was involved with
- Personal photographs
- Newspapers and magazine articles
- Personal and professional correspondence
- VHS Videos